Tips for Dull, Dry Hair
Tired of dull, dry — and let’s face it — boring hair? Well, hair becomes dull and dry for a wide variety of reasons — overstyling with blow-dryers or hot irons, too much chemical processing, dry winter weather, and exposure to sun, salt water, or chlorine. It’s all about how we treat (or overtreat) our hair that makes it drier than the Sahara. How can we make dull, parched hair say aah? Rescue and revitalize your dry hair with these simple tips and home remedies.
- To turn dull, dry hair into silky and shiny tresses, use a shampoo that is rich in vitamin E and other natural moisturizers. Avoid hair-care products that contain lanolin or silicone, as these ingredients tend to dry hair quickly. If you use a hair dryer, keep the setting cool, since hot air can scorch your hair (and your scalp).
- Beer is a terrific quick fix for dull, dry hair. But we’re not talking about drinking it! Instead, pour it right on your head! The protein in beer helps repair damaged hair cuticles, which makes your hair shiny and smooth. Lather your hair with a bottle of dark beer or stout, let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse with cold water to add shine and eliminate any residual beer smell.
- Baking soda is a simple ingredient to cook up some lovely locks. When hair-care products build up and leave your hair dull and dry, remove the chemicals with baking soda. Combine a quarter cup of warm water with a tablespoon of baking soda to form a thin paste. Spread the baking soda and water mixture on wet hair, using a wide-tooth comb to distribute it evenly onto your hair and scalp, and let it sit for a few moments. Rinse out the paste, shampoo your hair, and you’ll see a healthy shine. No time for pasting and combing? Simply mix in your hand a tablespoon of baking soda with a dollop of your everyday shampoo for a quick hair boost.
- Eggs not only rid your hair of any buildup, they also leave hair silky and shiny. Whip one egg in warm water (not too hot — you don’t want to cook the egg!) and lather the mixture into your hair. Rinse with cool water and style hair as usual. For especially dry or dull hair, mix three eggs with two tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of vinegar. Spread over hair and let sit for a half hour, then rinse, shampoo, condition, and shine!
- The combination of coconut oil and avocado gives dull, dry hair new luster and life. The rich oils and nutrients in this homemade mask also help protect your hair from overexposure to the sun. Mash one avocado in a tablespoon of coconut oil, and then rub into hair. (A little extra avocado on the ends will help repair damage.) Let sit for 15 minutes, rinse with cool water, then shampoo, condition, and style.
- To give your dull, dry hair a treatment that smells as fresh as a garden herb, mix a teaspoon of jojoba oil with three drops of essential rosemary oil. (You can find these products in many health-food stores.) Massage into hair and rinse with cool water.
- Try the treatments that appeal to you and mark down your favorites. Then on a day your hair is looking dull or dry, you’ll know you’re just a few simple steps away from a shiny, silky transformation.