1. Invest in a good, slippery conditioner. It will save you a LOT of time by making detangling easier.
2. Keep hair stretched when dry to reduce knotting
3. Use a seamless wide tooth comb
4. Only finger detangle during week. Limit detangling with a comb to wash day.
5. Reduce washing to every 10 days or 2 weeks (only continue if your scalp doesn’t suffer)
6. Dampen hair and use a good moisturizer to be sure that the lack of washing doesn’t affect your moisture situation
7. If possible split up wash day (i.e. wash and apply deep conditioner over night, then rinse the following morning)
8. After washing apply whole leaf aloe vera gel/juice and an oil of your choice to hair. Place a shower cap on for 15-20 minutes. This is a deep conditioning treatment you don’t have to wash out, so you can style right after you’re done.
9. After washing place hair in large twists or braids (6-12). Air dry hair stretched. Remove braids the next morning or after several hours and put hair in a simple up do.
Original article here.